Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Bronco VS International Harvester Scout

I am a huge fan of off-roading sport utility vehicles... classic ones that is. My A #1 is the early Ford Bronco. Let's not associate him with OJ Simpson anymore. His wasn't an early Bronco anyway. Lately, however, I've been crossing paths with an International Harvester Scout. I see it parked here and there on my usual route to work. It's somewhat beat (and if you've read my previous post, I like beat) and has definite character. It's grey in color and has a removable soft-top roof.

As far as the Bronco goes, I'm only interested in the classic ones. Produced from 1966 to 1996, they were in direct competition with the International Harvester Scout. Broncos can actually be divided into two production categories: earlier Broncos (1966 to 1977) and the later full-size Broncos (1978-1996). I'd like to set the focus on early Broncos.

Ford's production manager, Donald N. Fray, came up with the idea. He was also the one behind the Ford Mustang. Contrarily to the Mustang, who'se design was based on the Falcon, the Bronco's body design wasn't shared with any other vehicle and stood on its own. The very first Bronco's were a daunting drive, with no power steering or automatic transmission. Three models were available, the pick-up, the wagon and the less popular roadster.

For more detailed information about the early Broncos, you can check this site out: http://www.76bronco.com/

1. Bronco shot taken in West Hollywood
2. Bronco parked on PCH in Malibu


International Harvester Scouts were in production slightely prior to the Bronco and had a shorter in-production span, from 1961 to 1980. The International Harvester manufacturing company was originally building trucks since the early 1900s. In the late 1950s, they were starting to conceive a vehicle which could compete with Jeep's CJ. The first Scouts were the Scout 80, in production until 1965. Following the Scout 80 was the Scout 800, built until 1968. Its successor was the 800A, followed by the 800B. The Scout II came into proction from 1971 up until 1980. The last IH Scout rolled out of the factory in October 1980 :(

For more detailed information about the IH Scout (and IH), check out http://www.binderblues.com/

I have yet to snag a shot of the IH Scout I see on an almost daily basis, but as soon as I do I'll share straight away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment