Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Things every BABYMAMA fan ought to know

So I work at a Chamber of Commerce. I hate talking business... I don't particularly care for government affairs, basically I do not really know why I'm there. But anyhow, I do enjoy talking gearhead material with the boys. One of my coworkers in particular seems to understand why I have such an inclination towards Babymamas. Yesterday he taught me the basics of what SD, SEL, SL and whatnot actually stand for. Crucial information I would say for someone who is a self-proclaimed car geek. I further researched these findings and wish to share them with you.

S Class (debut in 1972) - derived from the german "Sonderklasse", which means "special class" or "a class of its own".

500SEL - These letters come from German terminology. DUH. S being "Sonderklasse" or sedan, E referring to "Einsprintzung" or engine size of 5,000 ccm with fuel injection (E) and L being "Lang" or long wheelbase.

* NOTE: SL not analogous to the S and L in SEL -- SL stands for "Sport Leicht". SL roadsters are NOT S-class vehicles.*

For my personal pleasure, and just because.... I'd like to spotlight on the 1 and only Babymama Turbo D, MY baby.

This 3800 lb great old car gets major kudos for roominess and seat comfort. The sunroom makes it all the better. Mine's silver in color... subject to change of course. She's seen a lot of travel and a lot of life. My parents bought her in Stuttgard and drove her over to France, before literally ship-ping her over and getting her to LA. She's seen the world and has scars to prove it. Everyone knows scars add character, and character is very plentiful in this "super"car. She's my tank. You hear that door close, BAM safe. And the bumpers....

Speaking of bumpers, have you ever taken a gander at earlier Benz models? Ever noticed the power of those bumpers? These babies are imposing and beyong protruding. You know that asshole who zooms by and nearly hits you? Yea its a garantie that turd's plastic vessel will get decimated by Das Deutsch tank build of your Babymama and those excellent bumpers... oh bumpers....

And for visuals...


1. Babymama limo (West LA) -- notice how the owner also owns two other fine Babymamas... 2. Babymama technicolor dreamcoat (Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades)







No comments:

Post a Comment